PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OLD FOLKS HOME
Thread: OLD FOLKS HOME
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2015, 21:28
Curlytips

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Average age is rising

Our fly-outs are usually on a Wednesday - and nearly everyone is retired. Youngsters are restricted to the local school, and as others have said, have to manage their time with careers and family. More worrying is how few are even training. It seems the romance of flying just doesn't have the appeal when we were young.

I am thankful that when I started my love of aviation it was in the golden years when the RAF was significant, the cold war meant exciting jets surrounded our flying, and being above the ground was the most exciting thing I could do. Computers and technology have taken a lot away from people's desire to be adventurous.

I even enjoyed commercial passenger flying for many years (part of my day job) but the romance has gone there too. Only business class flying for long haul is now acceptable, but once my air miles run out that's not an option either. Please don't think me a snob, but why would I accept all the cr*p of security etc., when I can mount up in my machine and go without travel to major airports, check - in times, security etc. and get to most places quicker than commercial ( in overall travel time).

I know it's been repeated time and again, but how do we convince youth that private aviation is so worthwhile/exciting/rewarding/efficient/fun?