PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bent airframes
Thread: Bent airframes
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2015, 19:36
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gentlemen all, so far we have dealt with designs, hand built usually which will always be subject to "how the fitter" feels that day, often a trait in the Britush aircraft industry from the 40s to the late 60s. I had experience of the RAFs C130 fleet for most of my career a type noted for its factory, mass produced, heritage. Anyone who took XV222 (trembling 2) down route, from Captain to GE will remember how some aircraft just did not conform with design spec.

As an aside, whilst a very enthusiastic RAFGSA member many years ago, I had a problem with an ASK7 which would never fly in a straight, though descending, line for me. It was only after mentioning it a few times that our QFI decided he would do a check ride with me in the beast. Once happily off the winch, I set myself for a stable attitude with all controls centred in the front office. We were obviously yawing rapidly left, and my QFI checker confirmed a huge displacement of the rudder pedals in the rear seating area. Well, once on the ground it was clear that the rigging on the rudder system was not correct, and we remedied it. I wonder how many "studes" fell foul of QFI taunts of incompetence as a result of that simple, technical incompetence.

Smudge