PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bent airframes
Thread: Bent airframes
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2015, 16:04
NutLoose

Received 2,940 Likes on 1,252 Posts

Shytorque
Part way through my RAF flying scholarship, back in the dark ages, the civvy flying school received a C150 which wouldn't fly straight and in balance at the same time after a post-accident rebuild. It always dropped the left wing at the stall.

It was allocated to me and my instructor for a check ride; I had to spin it. From a normal entry it entered the spin very rapidly, flicked then settled and spun inverted, whereupon the engine promptly stopped. My instructor looked very surprised and asked me how I intended to recover. I said I would try easing back on the yoke after full opposite rudder, he nodded. It came out of the spin very quickly and the engine restarted itself as I raised the nose. The instructor abandoned the flight and the aircraft was taken off the flying programme. It was later found to have the wings rigged at different angles!
That is correct, that is how you lift a wing on a Cessna 152 / 150, the rear spar bolt is mounted through a concentric bushing, you rotate the bushing to raise or lower the trailing edge of the wing to rig the aircraft for straight and level flight, if it was dropping a wing it simply needed re adjusting on one side, you then adjust both to set the stall at the correct angle of attack..

ADJUSTMENT
(CORRECTING "WING-HEAVY" CONDlTION). (Refer to figure 4-1.) If
considerable control wheel pressure Is required to keep the wings level in normal flight. a
"wing-heavy" condition exists. To remedy this condition. proceed as follows:
a.
Remove wmg root fairing stnp on "wing heavy" side of aircraft.
b.
Loosen nut (10) and rotate eccentnc bushings (8) simultaneously until the bushings
are poslhoned with the thick sides of the eccentrics up. This will lower the trailing
edge of the wing. and decrease "wing-heaviness" by increasing the angle of-
Incidence of the wing.
CAUTION
Be sure to rotate the eccentnc bushmgs simultaneously.
Rotating them separately will destroy the alignment
between the on-center bolt holes in the bushings. thus
exerting a shearing force on the bolt. with possible damage
to the hole in the wing spar fitting.

Last edited by NutLoose; 15th Oct 2015 at 16:16.