PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worst Place To Be A Pilot
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2015, 15:06
StudentPilot479

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There were no reasonable maps available until IndoAvis made some maps a few years ago based on SRTM data. The ONCs that were 'available' still had large blank spaces and the depictions of mountains did not come close to matching reality in many areas. I think they were based on data from the late 60s and until more recently (with print-on-demand websites) I don't think they were easy to come by. I heard that the RAAF and the TNI-AU (Indonesian Air Force) both had better maps, but neither was willing to provide them to civil operators. Things may have changed since I was looking for maps.

Pinky: Not wanting to get in a pissing match, I am genuinely curious. What about the strips you named made them difficult? I have basic information for the PNG airstrips from 2005 and they all appear to be fairly typical of village airstrips made in Papua when service was predominantly by 185s and 206s, although doglegs are very rare. A couple are steeper than the average, but nothing out-of-the-ordinary.