PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wind Check on final
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2015, 06:27
8che

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This job has and will always have a requirement for common sense and self preservation.

As a Captain you should take all information into account. That's CRM.
So to suggest that ATC is more or less important than the FMS is totally missing the point. There all relevant to getting the job done. To also suggest TRE/management should be able to give a clear answer to every possible scenario is not realistic.

I have had exactly this scenario on the 777. ATC reporting 12 kt tailwind (limit 15kt) and FMS 16kt tail all the way down the approach. My decision was at minimum if FMS still showing more than 15 we go-around simple. It went to 13 and we landed. I don't need to ask management because management have appointed me to make the decision.
At that moment its my aeroplane, my career and my life. If asked as an instructor I can give this as an "opinion/technique" not company policy. Its not written down and never will be. Its called getting the job done.

If ATC states something is within limits but you have another source of information to the contrary surely you take the sensible safe decision and use that information !

RAT 5....I have never heard of an "unexpected Go-around". Shouldn't every approach be a fully planned Go-around and the landing is the bonus. Its interesting to see guys pre-selecting ground frequency when handed over to tower. You know a Go-around has gone from the mind

Last edited by 8che; 15th Oct 2015 at 07:41.