PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling all ex-VGS Instructors
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2015, 23:18
chevvron

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts
I was a staff cadet at 613 from '64 to '70, becoming P1 and P2. They tried to make me a 'C' cat but when I left school I found it was too much and gave up.(Couldn't bring myself to let a ham fisted cadet land a glider with me in it more like! ) Many years later, I renewed my acquaintance with 613 when I became Herts & Bucks Wing Gliding Liaison Officer first for 612 then 613 as well.
613 had 2 detached flights at various times, White Waltham and Bovingdon (before 617 were chucked out of Hendon and moved in)
Jacko was OC 613, Malcolm commanded the WW detachment (he was an air traffic controller there until the RAF moved out) which eventually became 612 GS. Malcolm took over as OC 613 when Jacko retired ('74 or '75?) and 612 moved to Benson with John Hartill as boss.
Malcolm remained OC 613 until they re-equipped with Ventures I think (could be wrong there).
One 'claim to fame' for 613. When I joined 2204 (Chesham) Sqdn ATC, there was a guy called Chris Rollings on the squadron, as well as novellist/aerobatic pilot the late Brian Lecomber.
Chris became a staff cadet at 613 a couple of years before me; joined the RAF as an Officer Cadet, left the RAF and returned to 613, then became an instructor at Wycombe Gliding Centre, eventually becoming a BGA coach and one of the most experienced glider pilots in the country; he even did a display at Farnborough in 2000.
I won't post it here but I have his e-mail address if any ex 613 people want to contact him.

Last edited by chevvron; 14th Oct 2015 at 23:36.