PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Defence in Numbers 'booklet'
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2015, 20:41
Courtney Mil

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Last page speaks volumes.

I'm seeing Work & Pensions as the largest spend, but I don't see benefits. Is there some clever wording going on here or does the UK really spend that much on benefits?

I'm seeing Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, but where is England in all that?

Curiously, I see no mention of MPA in the future spend plan. I'm starting to wonder if there is any plot at all to regenerate MPA. It's been left so long now it can hardly count as a capability holiday, can it?

Love the Combat Air planned spend too: £10.6bn (e.g. Typhoon, Tornado, Lightning II). Now, can anyone here tell me how much of that is Typhoon and Tornado? A cynic might think that they've lumped the three types together to hide how much is being spent on JSF by making it look like it's just another little bit of the fast jet thing.

The Navy looks set to lose another thousand in the next five years despite the risk of having an aircraft carrier or two to think about and manning and some fixed wing aircraft. But at least they win the prize for the race to the bottom by being the first force to smash through the 30,000 mark.