PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2015, 09:23
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Danny thanks for the heads up for this thoughtful and thought provoking programme, and thanks Molemot for the watch-online link to it. It was fitting that those who gave us their thoughts and recollections on the Bombing Campaign were those who actually took part in it, survivors from all over the world that looked back with their regrets, justifications, hopes and fears.

As one of them said, there are no just wars, there are just wars. WWII was a fight for survival on all fronts, and like all wars had to be fought hard from beginning to the very end. That is my own take on Dresden, that one target among so many hundreds that so concentrates the minds of documentary makers, just as it did this one. It served the German war effort and was as legitimate, or illegitimate, as any other target. The fact that the fat lady got up to sing shortly afterwards is immaterial; you fight to win and to win as soon as possible, lest your enemy suddenly moves all the goalposts without informing the ref!

Just my take, and contrary to some of the views expressed by those who were there. Thus will it always be I suspect.