PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Argonaut/North Star Memories and Observations
Old 14th Oct 2015, 08:27
ONE GREEN AND HOPING

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew the Air Links C4 Argonauts as a co-pilot, but won't claim to be much of an expert, since ground school was all afternoon, and six visual circuits at Gatwick was all the handling I got for a while. I did quite a lot of supernumery, however, before being let loose in the right hand seat. Somewhere in there, I must have worked in an instrument rating renewal, and whatever stamp was needed for the C4 type rating. I remember having to return to the 'ministry', or ARB, to sit the recently introduced 'Performance A', which had been somehow overlooked. All the Captains, who seem to have been flying everything powered by Merlins since 1939, were easy to get along with. We were all on individual contracts, with some flying trips with other operators as well. By this time, I think that our friends at Derby Airways were the only other Argonaut operators. Must have been in 1966, by which time we had re-equipped with Britannias, that I returned to Redhill to ferry the last stored Argonaut out to British Midland for spares ( BMA, the new posh re-badged ident for the much cherished Derby Airways ) I look back to my brief association with the Argonaut era as a time of maverick goings-on, with much laughter and unexpected 'wind-falls'........Ho hum...