PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taceval, Maxival and Minival
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2015, 07:57
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The V-Force, in both UK and Cyprus had two one-day and one 3-4 day exercise each year in the 60s. We had 6 NBC suits issued in Cyprus, but no training.

The first UK traceback I experienced was at St Mawgan in 74 with a part 1. As a stude I was 'detached' to Gibraltar, ie sent home. The next day I had to be dragged out of my quarter at St Eval as no one said it was Endex. That same year I was at Wittering as it worked up to its first; rather pointless as its role was to deploy.

At Kinloss I asked the Regt Officer about annual range practice. I got a blank look. I think Taceval only hit them in 76. Minivals came later as the importance of tacevals as stn cdr promotion exams was realised.

We had a taceval at Waddo around 92 or 93, and the first time I recall civilian life intruding. We had lots of no-shows as husbands or wives were at home child minding while husbands and partners were working nights etc. Civilian employers would no longer accept the military imperative.

At Coningsby we had Priory, the next best thing, with mass raids, etc as late as 96-97, by then the war plan documents were hopelessly out of date, units had gone, aircraft and sqns, radar sites etc, all changing but no one prepared to destroy the books, just in case . . .