PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Heavy Landing At Sydney?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2003, 05:58
airsupport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now there are some more details on my earlier story...........

Two Qantas passengers injured in emergency landing

The Age
July 2 2003

Two passengers were slightly injured after a Qantas jumbo jet made an emergency landing and was evacuated at Sydney airport this morning.

Police said the right hand side wheel of QF6 from Singapore caught fire and passengers were evacuated down the emergency chute.

"The plane was evacuated using the chute, all the passengers came down the chute," she said.

"Two passengers sustained injuries during that procedure, one has been taken to Prince of Wales Hospital," she said.

All the passengers were undergoing "disaster victim register" to ensure everybody has been accounted for, she said.

A passenger on the flight, Jasper Byrne, 27, said there was panic on the plane when they were told to evacuate.

"People were literally crying when they got off," Mr Byrne told AAP.

"Someone was having an asthma attack when she got off."

He said about 10 to 20 people at the rear of the plane had to exit via the emergency shute although Mr Byrne said he was lucky and didn't have to because he was seated near the front of the plane.

"It was quite traumatic really, definitely for the older people I think," he said.

The passengers were not told why they had to evacuate and he said they could not tell that anything was wrong from inside the plane although from outside he said "we could see something".

Charles Knight, 44, from Sydney's northern beaches was waiting for his sister's family to arrive when he first heard media reports that something was wrong.

He said his brother-in-law phoned him to let him know everything was okay but other people waiting were "really worried".

"I think there are some really worried people here and I think it's quite unnecessary for that to be the case," he said.

It was more than an hour after his brother's phone call before the airport made any announcement that there had been a problem with the flight which originated in Frankfurt.

- AAP