PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2015, 20:12
shortfinals34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
34 years old PPL just over 200 hours TT,Night rating,IRR(formerly IMC).Too old?

To give a brief outline of my circumstances I have what is given above in the title I'm 34 years old and earn around £35 per year after tax in an occupation I can tolerate but by no means like.I have paid my mortgage off and I aren't into fancy cars or expensive stuff(except flying of course which is probably more expensive and addictive than a coke habit).

I have no degree but did well in general education and have equivalent qualifications in road transport.

Now that it's meant to be illegal for employers to discriminate based upon age? I'm considering whether at my time of life it would make more sense to turn what I enjoy doing as a hobby into what I do for a living and make money from it?

Whilst I know there is no as such right or wrong answer I would like some un bias views/opinions from people who know what they are talking about on whether based on the information and circumstances I've given to you whether I'm too late in life to pursue an airline pilot career or whether to go for it.Obviously if I were to go to an FTO they'd just fill my head with BS/and brainwash about pilot shortages and huge salaries to get me to sign up so no point going there

Although like everybody I need to earn some money, because my living costs are at the moment so low a huge salary isn't essential.

one more important point I maybe about to become a family man in the next couple of years .So professional pilot training could be an investment or a detriment to future finances.

All constructive advice views welcome.Thank you.