PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fuel tankering (including scenario)
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2015, 17:10
Ledhead27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel tankering (including scenario)

Evening all,

My first post here on PPRuNe after meaning to sign-up for a while but never actually remembering to do so. Unfortunately my first post is a bit of a turgid one.

I'm writing an assignment on fuel tankering and part of the brief includes the following:

"Discuss the issues with tanking when operating a return sector to a busy airfield in Germany (e.g. Munich Airport), with a late arrival and early departure the next morning. The flight is to take place in winter with the OAT at a constant -15°C. What issues need attention? What dangers to the aircraft could there be? Would there be a time during inclement weather when tanking would not be prudent?"

I understand the properties of fuel with regards to freezing point and when it starts to wax, and I also understand the concept of tankering. However, I'm not quite sure what to explain for this part other than the possibility of cold soaking on the wing and perhaps not de-icing if wx conditions are clear as the fuel can be pumped into the wing warm.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Dan