PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Leucars - Renamed
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2015, 12:02
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
Doncaster-Sheffield-Robin Hood Boy,

Nothing unique about the situation at Leuchars and Kinloss at all. Topcliffe and Tern Hill have exactly the same arrangements, as did Waterbeach and Dishforth in their day, the RAF still providing Air Traffic at Dishforth now, though primarily to the AAC.
But both Topcliffe and Tern Hill are exactly as Leuchars and Kinloss, and have been for a very long time now.
pr00ne,

Topcliffe has been utilised for various flying roles since the Army moved in, for their own purposes, i.e. base for AAC units, a Temporary location for RAF Flying training squadrons squadrons from Linton and Church Fenton etc, Dishforth, as you say, is AAC, and Ternhill as a relief landing ground for Shawbury. My point isn't that there aren't any old airfields still on going, Colerne another one, but the reason behind closing Kinloss and Leuchars was to get rid of two active airfields, they then found they couldn't. The airfields you mention have stayed open more out of choice with the option to be utilised or made handy more over for flying training and the use of the Army Air Corps' own units. Leuchars and Kinloss were suppose to close completely, just like Cottesmore and now Church Fenton and Honington. they weren't expected to be maintained to a standard to accommodate Typhoons and Tornados still, but the lack of any other, suitable, military airfields north of Leeming put any such savings out of reach.

That's how I understand it anyway?

FB