PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bu**ar off...and leave your watch!
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2015, 08:07
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
Biggus, perhaps to fly with a RAFFCA flying club, of which there are now 14?

Leon Jabachjabicz, whilst serving PVR-porridge at Binnsworth in 2003, I had to find out why some reservists hadn't responded to call-out notices. That took me about 2 days, but I kept my time there occupied with sending updates to the Gp Capt (a nice chap who knew I'd been shafted and was very sympathetic) as I investigated each case. The core reason for alleged recalcitrance was institutional incompetence - the system had failed to track 'reservists' whereabouts because the old system of a small annual allowance for reservists to update Binnsworth had been canned....

I pointed out that it would therefore be up to MoD to prove that a reservist hadn't informed them of an address change, or name change following marriage. How did they know that the reservist hadn't simply phoned in their new details, now that the odd system had been abolished? At least I'd stopped the pongos' proposal to go round to the last address mob-handed to kick the door down when we discovered the clear incompetence of the system.

The blunties were preparing a case against one chap; when I spoke with the legal folk I asked if the paperwork we had for him was an exact duplicate. "Of course", came the reply. "Well, that's a pity - the call-out notice hasn't been signed or dated".... But it seems that the original had, or so they said.

But whilst at Binnsworth, I made sure that I knew exactly what my call-out and recall liability would be for the time between PVR and age 55 and the subsequent RAFResO time. So when I received the usual retirement guff, I replied detailing my understanding, stating that if I didn't hear from them further, then I would assume that this was correct...... No reply, so that was that!

RAFResO and RAFResA liabilities are very poorly explained to those who PVR, many of whom probably have no idea that they are liable for call-out.....

Last edited by BEagle; 13th Oct 2015 at 09:59.