PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Road trip part 2 - Santa Monica to Calgary
Old 12th Oct 2015, 23:27
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Chino - yet more planes

Yanks Air Museum - they have more than 130 aircraft. Like Planes of Fame, it's hard to do it justice in a short post - you have to go there.

Ryan B-1 Brougham

Kellet KD-1A Autogyro

Here's one example from a room full of biplanes, most of which I had never seen before and some I had never even heard of! I chose the NAF N3N-3 Yellow Peril, because I like floatplanes.

Curtis O-52 Owl

McCulloch HUM-1, the first certified twin-rotor helicopter

Model 11 Ohka

Grumman Widgeon

The Widgeon's big brother - the Grumman Albatross

Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer

A Bell SK-5 (SR.N5)

Built under licence by Bell, the main changes consisted of substituting a GE LM-100 turbine for the Gnome and changing all the fasteners to American ones. I'm not sure if this is a PACV (Navy) or ACV (Army). Correction: it appears to be a PACV. I have a personal interest in hovercraft, because my dad used to work for Hovertravel in Ryde.
PACV / ACV (Pac-Vee / Monster) - Air Cushioned Patrol Boat / Hovercraft - History, Specs and Pictures - Navy Ships

Warning - thread drift.
On the way home, I made a detour to Jurassic Garden near Chatsworth (Visit the Jurassic Garden -- A&A Cycads Nursery) to have a look at their Cycads. Being a geologist, I've always had an interest in "living fossils". Don't laugh, lots of people have weird hobbies - some people I know like steam locomotives and old aeroplanes.

I met the owner, a really interesting fellow, who showed me around. As I suspected, he knew the late Dr. Oliver Sacks, who, besides his many other interests, was also a cycad expert.

All of this is a preamble to a comment he made just before I left. He told me that his nursery was on part of what used to be the Iverson movie ranch and that the rock behind his office was the "Lone Ranger rock".

Last edited by India Four Two; 14th Oct 2015 at 01:47. Reason: Spelling.