PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bu**ar off...and leave your watch!
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2015, 20:52
Wensleydale

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Finally - security clearances 'lapsing'. AIUI retirees are required to hand back their passes almost immediately, thereby losing their rights of access, but their security-cleared status (i.e. SC, DV, etc) continues until its next renewal date (note, being 'security-cleared' does not actually get you anywhere unless you have relevant employment). Cleared status has traditionally been seen as an attractive CV item when applying to certain sectors of industry as it saves them paying for it themselves. Finding the vaguest of reasons to get clearances renewed towards the end of a final tour of duty has been a long-standing wheeze!

Not true nowadays sadly.....I believe that it now automatically lapses after 3 months if there have been no enquiries from employers etc rather than at the normal expiry date. I applied for a contractor pass at my old base after about 7 months retired but had to go through standard vetting before I could get one (despite having a significantly higher clearance when I retired). I would assume that those requiring a "social" pass would have to go through the same procedure.