PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Adding a Cessna 172 rating to my licence
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2015, 15:59
Silvaire1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
However the rub is the instructor has to actually know something about the real world operation of that models. This is problem when the average flight school instructor will likely never have seen anything but the C 152/172 or Pa28. So a bit of digging may be required to find the right instructor to get the most out of a checkout.
Yes, the mindless fallacy of certification meaning competence is a big problem. My experience in that situation was buying a certified aircraft of which there were eight on the FAA register. Nobody within 1000 miles of the aircraft had ever flown one, notwithstanding the fact that its not too challenging if you have your head on straight. The best person to fly it, and later help get me up to speed, was a friend who competes in unlimited aerobatic competition and has flown almost literally every light aircraft under the sun. He's not an certified instructor. After I was up to speed I had another friend who is an instructor (and a 767 pilot for a living) sign me off for insurance purposes, after I showed him I could fly it. All parties agreed with the approach, and obviously it worked out fine without extra 'help' from inflexible and ineffective regulation.