PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun, Botswana. The essential guide.
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2015, 11:15
PilotSVK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IR rating requirements

Hello all and thanks for all the great advice over here!

I'm wondering as per what is the best way to approach my current decision regarding whether it is more important to get the Instrument Rating (for which I would need to pay approx. 8,000 EUR / 9100 USD) or rather to get a flying experience in the 206/210? (due to budget constraints)

On Wilderness Air employment site it is clearly stated, that they require the IR, but for example Mack Air on their vacancy post did not list the IR as a requirement, and as I understand that there is rather no IR flying in the Delta or in Namibia.

I understand that the 500-hours is the Botswana authorities' unofficial requirement, but I'm wondering whether anyone has experience with landing a job (and the work permit) without the Instrument Rating, please? (I went through all the pages on this thread as well as the Namibia one) So should I spend time and money on the IR or rather keep still focusing on getting as many hours and to increase my VFR skills?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

About me:
I'm currently progressing with my hours, doing flight instructing, sightseeing flights etc. and will have over 500 hours by the next hiring season. In addition I'm doing a Bush Pilot training, albeit in a small 2-seat taildragger.

Last edited by PilotSVK; 13th Oct 2015 at 11:36. Reason: I have read the remainder of the threads and slightly adjusted my question.