PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Britain won't go to war without the US: Hoon
Old 2nd Jul 2003, 01:58
T_richard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BlueWolf "fluffy bunny sanctuaries" I understand your point but I have never heard it put quite like that. Mind if I adopt the phrase (with proper credit given of course)

Personally, I think you AND BHR are both right. Money save on defense, welfare, et al is more than likely pi**ed away on some stupid NEW program that is un tested, or just badly constructed. But I think that in both of our national budgets there is plenty of that going on regardless of any significant reductions in major programs.

To the thread's point though, does anyone think there are cost reductions that could be realized by establishing a closer joint defense package. (forgive my language, military matters are not my forte'). Does the average Brit see the US as a staunch ally, or is the slagging I read on PPRUNE closer to reality. I don't see any American desire to dominate GB on defense issues in the American press, but I can't imagine any military conflict that GB would get drawn into where the American people wouldn't expect our military to back you to the hilt.

I know we provided some support, communications I think, during the Falkland War.

Am I nieve or misinformed, or what?