PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bu**ar off...and leave your watch!
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2015, 08:24
Madbob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I left the RAF in 1989 and have seldom looked back apart from various reunions over the years. Initially these were on base and we were welcomed by the powers-that-be, i.e. PMC/Mess Manager and could hold a private function in the mess and get accommodation. All that changed a long time ago and we now meet-up invariably in an hotel.

Times have changed and I accept that but it still saddens me that such one time perks, as decent food, decent staff, a friendly bar, and a "batty" service have all but gone.

The point thought that Four Types initially made though was in part more general and that was the poor way that ex-service personnel (of all colours) get treated as veterans. Much more I think ought to be done to recognise the service that vets have given to the country.

I remember lots of visits by ex-RAF personnel in the guise of RAFA visits, or former RAF servicemen/women of the staff of ATC squadrons etc. who inevitably got a tour of the ATC tower, Fire Section and a spiel of what the station did, whether it be front-line stuff or flying training. I met some very interesting people in the process. I very much hope that such visits still go on.......

I fully understand the need for additional security to restrict access to military establishments but I think it fairly safe to assume that former service personnel are a pretty low threat......and can be considered to play still for the same side whether in uniform or not!

MB