PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Acceptable risks : Night offshore flying
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2015, 02:16
SASless

Received 521 Likes on 217 Posts
We seem to be winning the battle over here as NVG's are becoming far more common as the Operators and Customers realize the benefit they provide....primarily in the EMS business where so much of the flying is at night and far too often in very dark places in marginal weather.

If all I ever did was fly from Airport to Airport with fully instrumented Runways and all sorts of Light and Surface Reference aids.....then perhaps using NVG's would not be as useful as they are.

But when it gets really...really Dark....and the lights are scarce NVG's are magic kit. I used to land back to a fully lit Helipad....the usual perimeter in ground lights....but also lit up like daytime due to giant arrays of Flood Lights that were beamed onto the Pad for Security while the aircraft was parked awaiting a Scramble Call.

Unless you looked square into one of the Flood Light arrays it was not a problem and then only momentarily until you looked away....not much different than if you looked at them using the Naked Eye.

I can no reason why ordinary Platform, Rig, or Vessel lighting would be a problem for NVG Operations.