PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Acceptable risks : Night offshore flying
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2015, 07:49
Offshoreflyer0274

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info about NVG's - I've no experience at with them, so may be worth looking at. I'm not sure what the answer is, but just find it interesting looking at stats that for all the efforts to reduce fatalities in the offshore world, the one thing which would ensure lives saved over the next 10 years would be to stop night offshore operations. If that's not a viable option - oil companies being reluctant to adjust their work so much being a reasonable assumption - then the next step in my mind would be stop night flights to small NUI's. If that's not likely then NVG's may help. My main concern really is that having flown about 20 years offshore, the one common situation that I know has scared, with close calls, or ended up killing offshore crews and workers is night time operations. It seems as an industry we haven't properly addressed the issue - either ensure the crews are flying night time regularly enough to be comfortable and current or look at restricting the operations.