PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Carrier Announces Ab Initio Program
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2015, 18:59
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
flyboyike,

Yes, I see what you're saying. The memo is pretty vague on the nuts & bolts.

Here are the parts that led me to assume (perhaps incorrectly ?) that JB would mandate a specific flight training organization to do the PPL/CPL/IR/MEL at least:

"This particular Gateway program will allow an applicant, if successful, to start with no flight time and become a JetBlue pilot after completing a rigorous training program."

How would JB know the flight training would be "rigorous" if they just selected people and told them to go get the tickets ?

"Since the cost and time of the traditional civilian pilot career path is becoming increasingly prohibitive for the average aspiring pilot, a new approach is needed."

I was guessing the "new approach" was a true ab initio program with a JB-selected-mandated training organization. This would, to my recollection, be unprecedented in the USA.

"Although still in the final phases of development, Gateway 7 will also be a highly-structured, high-quality training program."

Again, without JB selecting/approving/overseeing the training for ALL selectees, they can hardly assure a "highly-structured, high-quality training program".

I guess until the details are revealed, I'm just a blind man with an elephant.

[I seem to recall that back in the 60s, UAL did select and hire some pilot candidates w/o any flight time but told them "go somewhere, get your tickets and let us know when you've finished and you're hired"...or something sorta/kinda like that ? That's different from what I got from the JB memo]]