PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Information on Victor XA929 crash in Cyprus 16th June 1962
Old 10th Oct 2015, 16:45
peel505

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've only just come across this forum and feel obliged to reply even though it is a bit late.

On that fateful day I was in the R.A.F. Police at Akrotiri in a land rover en route to the guardroom with three or four others on board. I did not see the crash but heard it and saw the large pall of smoke as it ignited off the end of the runway in the 'bondu'

We went straight to the scene and were among the first there. Obviously the scene was one of utter devastation with the Victor completely broken up and burning furiously. There were still minor explosions taking place and the sound of shrapnel whistling through the air which I assume was from gas oxygen bottles or the like.

I took charge of the of the bodies of the six poor souls who had been on board all of which were completely burned beyond recognition and there is no doubt that death would have been instantaneous.

Once the bodies had been placed in ambulanced and remove from the scene I played no further pard. I hope this id of interest.