PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Road trip part 2 - Santa Monica to Calgary
Old 10th Oct 2015, 15:34
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
The Englishman and the Scotsman - again (Part 2)

The San Fernando Valley is notorious for being much hotter than the coast and as we crossed over the pass, there was a sudden jolt and a very rapid rise in OAT. The cockpit became noticeably hot.

pb84 called up Van Nuys and we made a landing and take off there, just for fun. No PPR, no fuss, no landing fees - just do it.

While taxying back to the threshold, besides the usual boring biz-jets, we saw two CL 415s and a couple of Skycranes:

plus some oddly painted T-6s with Luftwaffe markings:

Did I mention it is hot in The Valley? It was over 40C on the ground at Van Nuys.

From VNY to SMO, the VFR route follows I-405 through the Sepulveda Pass and past the Getty Museum:

Shortly after this flight, pb84 had his inadvertent, night IMC experience at the same location:
http://www.pprune.org/private-flying...l-day-2-a.html

I like to think that if I had been doing the flying, I wouldn't have flown straight into the cloud. My SOP would be: "pb84, stop messing about with your maps. You have control!"

It was early afternoon as we arrived back, so there was just the normal, light freeway traffic :

That was my first flight in a Maule. A delightful aircraft and so much more sociable than a tandem taildragger, although the shoulder room is a bit lacking for big lads like us! Thanks again, pb84, for a great flight.

Last edited by India Four Two; 12th Oct 2015 at 07:19. Reason: speling