PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 G-LBAL helicopter crash in Gillingham, Norfolk
Old 10th Oct 2015, 11:52
76fan

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, it's thread drift but ....training and/or commercial pressure .... perhaps nothing is going to change in the onshore helicopter industry until pilots have some sort of agreement/union and back each other up in order to maintain good airmanship, good captaincy and flight safety. I once regarded the CAA with respect but I lost that respect when I saw how ineffective the Flight Ops Inspectorate was in its paper oriented inspections of a company which had a mix of public transport and private operations, single or two crew operations as required by the passenger(s), and often crewed non-type rated pilots as P2 to satisfy a passenger request thereby in some ways further increasing the workload of the captain. Forget any training or testing, it was a recipe for breaking regulations whether flying a public transport or private flight, there were no company "standard operating procedures" for ad hoc sites, and so there was an open field for oneupmanship by an individual intending to satisfy the customer whatever that customer wanted; subsequent pilots would of course be expected to do the same. The "gifting" of civil licences to ex military pilots without the need to sit the many CAA ground examinations, as happened in the late 70's, did nothing to help or change any press-on military mindset of some pilots/companies. If the CAA were unable or unwilling to control that sort of operation how could they possibly do anything about totally private operations?