PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Airlines Pilot Dies in Flight BOS-PHX
Old 10th Oct 2015, 02:28
Alchemy101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With respect, you are illustrating my point. It's arrogant because you assume you know what others can contribute, and that you can make this judgement as an EMT. Your illustration of management is very 'stuff' focussed, which is what my focus was when I was an EMT, and your list of things you believe the MD can do betrays the fact that this is not your training.

Drugs, lines, machines, things - mostly unhelpful. Actually you can improvise just about anything that is likely to be useful, and 'stuff' rarely makes much difference. The only exception is the AED if you are lucky enough to have a shockable rhythm.

That's why it's worth consulting the physician on the plane. How do you know it is an MI? How do you know it's not one of the many masquerades? And since the pilot wasn't feeling well for a while before he (presumably) arrested, how do you know what the actual causative factor was likely to be, and that the timely involvement of a physician wouldn't have been helpful? Do you really think no-one on the plane had GTN, aspirin? Or that I couldn't fix a tamponade, a tension or an airway with what is available? Despite the fact that I'm not the 'right kind of MD'

The pilot in question may well have done just the same had he keeled over in the Mayo clinic waiting room as in his cockpit. But that's unknown.

Edit: And I agree with aewanabe. Last time I had a look there was a kit with quite a few good things in it (though missing some logical things too!)