PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Wind Indication on PFD during Takeoff-Roll
Old 9th Oct 2015, 13:00
Uplinker

Received 114 Likes on 70 Posts
Interesting OP.

The only wind data available to the aircraft on the runway is pitot pressure and air density. So, it can only calculate a head or tail wind component. As for wind direction, my guess is that it must take an average measurement of the rudder angle trend which would enable it to give an estimation of wind direction left or right. Combine that with the head/tail component calculation, and you can give an estimate of the wind vector.

I notice the A380 has AoA style vanes mounted vertically on the nose - presumably to actually measure the crosswind?

@RAT5 On take-off, when looking in to confirm and crosscheck your airspeed reading at 100 kts, it's always worth a quick glance to the wind vector to confirm that the tower wind was reasonably correct. I had a very interesting departure from the Caribbean once because the wind they gave us was incorrect.

A tailwind greater than 10 kts would clearly be a cause for concern, but when spotted at 100 kts, the T/O can be abandoned. (Well ANY unexpected tailwind not allowed for is a potential problem of course, as we almost found out that day)

Last edited by Uplinker; 9th Oct 2015 at 13:14.