PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Chipmunks
Thread: RAF Chipmunks
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2015, 16:26
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My day today

As promised, our good friend chickenlover contacted me recently and we agreed that today was going to be my first flight for 16 years, and my first flight in a Chipmunk for 36 years. To that end I duly reported for duty, as you will see, I can still get in to my old growbag, and off we went. The following photographs are a combination of mine and chickenlovers, who has given me his permission to "borrow" them for this post. Having pushed the aircraft from the hangar I was required to put my teckie hat on and give the engine a top up of oil, as predicted, a preflight by our pilot and she's ready to go;

WK577 prior to start. She's a looker !

So, in we get and off we go;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m0sdvqalc5...20off.mov?dl=0

A short climb and a look at our old stamping ground, a much changed place since the Green brigade took charge, here's a view of the old parking bays, something looks wrong without an Albert on there.

A couple of photo's from up front, and even an ugly old devil like me can't keep the smile off my face;

We then did some local flying and I had to say, it seems that losing the ability to locate things on the ground has gone with my good looks . The highlight was a visit to my home overhead, where SWMBO was awaiting our arrival, with a promise to get some photographs. She actually tried to use her iPad, which took three pictures of her (camera reversed) followed by what looks like a dead fly on the lens, I will not insult thread followers with any of that.

The return to land was very pleasant with good views of the Cerney lakes and surrounding countryside, you seriously could not get that smile off my face, despite the warning of needing a gum shield the landing was a "greaser" a very gentle arrival.

The growbag still fits, basically ;

I can only express my public thanks to chickenlover for his very generous time and effort to reinforce my almost forgotten love of great aircraft, and flying in them. I doubt I will stop smiling for some time, I will not forget that flight the aircraft or the banter for much longer. WK577 is now my favourite Chipmunk, if you hadn't already guessed.

Smudge