PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hospital bombed in the Afghan city of Kunduz.
Old 8th Oct 2015, 12:52
Lonewolf_50

Received 417 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Cazalet33
If the US military did not know that the hospital was located at that very prominent position, right at the head of the Nasvan-e-Markazi Road, then they should not have been attacking the city at all.
That's got to be one of the dumbest things I've seen posted in a while. For all of the wonderful kit the military of today have, one still doesn't have omniscience. To demand that is nonsense.

But you asked a previous question related to what a board of inquiry (JAG investigation) will also ask, which is
"did you know that the building you identified as the target was a hospital?"
and it's follow on question
"What building was it that you called on the aircraft to attack?"
(@Deptrai, your post makes sense to me)

I suspect that someone in an HQ a few links up the chain could have found that hospital and had it marked on a map as a hospital. Likewise marked are things like schools.

What is unclear to me is how well this information was passed or disseminated to whomever needed to use it in the field. The investigation ought to be able to figure that out.

The possible problem of a local calling in for fire support and getting it ... could happen.