PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MORE INSANITY
Thread: MORE INSANITY
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2015, 10:46
Touch'n'oops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
donpizmeov: haha... You're right, it was just a poor attempt to keep some anonymity.

Pixy:
I totally agree with you on the Flight Time. I think we have said the same thing, but worded differently.
Btw, on average for every additional sector FTL falls by 3/4 of an hour, but yet we still have an additional 3 hours if it is a single sector or final sector. 3/4 ain't much in the scheme of things. It represents roughly 2.5% drop in FTLs on a 2 sector day.
Carrying on, FTLs can't cover all circumstances and that is why there is that additional bit of wording saying that the commander has to take into account the circumstances of the crew. So it covers the turfing of a drunk, which is easy enough to an engine fire on ground. I agree if you had the latter it would be fair enough to call it quits for the day, doubt ops would call anyone on it.
I have had a cabin crew member say she didn't want to go into discretion after a tire change in Tenerife, something tells me there was a bit of motivation to stay a day in a sunny hotel rather than return to the pissing rain in England.

Trader:
I was merely trying to address those who abuse the spirit the FTL was written under. I know guys who wouldn't go into discretion to spite the company (These tend to be miserable buggers to fly with) and yes ops can be pushy. Additionally, if I thought any of the crew had been strung out then lets hit the hotel. This also includes those who are flying back to back night turns. I would go to bat for crew who have been worked into the ground, but I'd make sure I had a firm ground to fight my position if required.

I think this conversation draws parallels with the Fuel debate. Some guys always carry extra "For the grandkids" and that's bull. But, then I fly with someone who wants to take nothing extra during the time of year TSRA is highly likely to kick off, just asking for a diversion or the sweats. In these discussions there are always going to be those at the extremes who don't understand that no two flights are the same and common sense takes a back seat.

So to try and make heads or tails out of this. Would anyone argue to count the sector so to spill into discretion on a tight FTL day, so they can find a reason to call stop over 45 minutes (2.5% of the day)? However If it meant pushing the crew over the 3 hour mark, I wouldn't care because if I was pushing the 3 hour mark I would already be very ready to call it a day.