PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Flying Lesson Frequency in Winter
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2015, 08:57
alex90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally I hate Microsoft Flight Sim. I told all my Ab Initio students to stay off the sim. It is simply not realistic enough to fly visual attitudes and so sim pilots stare at the instruments instead of looking out the windshield. They also acquire bad habits as a result of practicing without supervision.
I don't know Microsoft Flight Simulator, (I am a mac person) - but the visuals, town shapes, lakes even trees if you set it to render properly are incredibly accurate in X-Plane. I also purchased a Cessna Yoke, pedals and throttle, and customised the environment so that I concentrate on the outside world. It was really useful for forced landings, and basic navigation. I can however see how some students would use that to their disadvantage - point taken!

Early lessons at say 9 o'clock gave me crisp smooth weather and on the odd occasion there was low cloud, we got up and done some bad weather circuits or low level navigation.
I think that relates back to "where" you're going to be training, as well as mostly luck! I have gone several weeks without being able to take off when I was training.

and currently at 34 hours am preparing for the qualifying cross country.
Good luck in your QXC!!