PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bombardier offers majority stake in C Series to Airbus
Old 8th Oct 2015, 07:06
West Coast

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
SkyWesg INC is cutting 50 seat aircraft, of both varieties. SkyWest airlines is still bringing aircraft out of the desert when they can find cheap leases, i flew a couple of them out of IGM. Yes, the more expensive leases are coming off contract and the total -200 fleet is downsizing, but its not going away anytime soon. Mostly as there's no real replacement on the horizon.

They are of course contractually obligated to fly certain routes with certain equipment -- even if such routes are currently operating at loss.
About the only type of flying that falls into that category is at risk flying. SGU has shown little patience at maintaining routes after local seed money has been spent and the route not earning its keep.

And actually SkyWest has been clear that they want to trim down the 50 seat and below category.
Already happened in the sub 50 seat category, at least at airlines. Perhaps INC still has some 37 seat ERJs. Kinda doubt it though.

Yes in the long term there is a question for replacement of the 50-seat class. But I don't see SkyWest buying new 50-seat jets from Bombardier or anyone else. At least not anytime soon.
Someone is going to. That market won't go away like the 19 seat market did and I doubt it will be under served by cutting 6 flights spread out over the day for one guppy. SkyWest tried something similar already, sending the EMB-175 into markets that were served by the multiple -200 flights They have returned to flying -200s again.