PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KingAir crash near Chigwell?
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2015, 02:28
Noiffsorbuts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having observed pitot static failure scenarios on take off in the simulator many times I have to say that the majority resulted in CFIT.
The instinct to deal with perceived decaying airspeed by pitching down to avoid stall invariably was stronger than following the AI which was screaming pitch up!

Of course in the subsequent debrief everyone kicked themselves....but in those split critical seconds you have a decision to make....something is wrong....which instrument do I trust?

With no visual reference and I doubt GPWS in this old workhorse (???) to warn "dont sink" or "terrain terrain pull up" the dice would be loaded against surviving such a failure.

I personally think external probe covers are accidents waiting to happen. We had a simple rule in the major airline i worked for....Dont use them!!! For sure if you have particular reason to use them OK due sand storm or being parked up for a long time OK but make it the exception.
In GA i have observed inconsistent and poor discipline over their use....and have lost count of how many times there are covers that have gone missing with the result that some probes are not covered and others are ( which on a poor pre flight could and to my certain knowledge have been missed)