PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Flying Lesson Frequency in Winter
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2015, 01:42
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by alex90
Also spend a lot of time on the maps, aviation charts, google earth and if you have one, flight simulator (I like X-Plane because I can actually fly the plane I learnt on, where I learnt with really good visuals).

Hope this helps! Good luck!
As an experienced instructor I will throw in my 2 cents.

For most students 2 lessons in one day is doable if there is a good break between flights. Coming prepared makes a huge difference in training progress.

But being prepared takes positive action by both the instructor and the student. A student should never leave the airfield after a lesson without a clear idea of what he/she needs to study. A student should never show up for a lesson without doing their homework. The indicator I, as an instructor, use is questions from the student. If a student shows up for a lesson and they have no questions/queries/request for an further explanation then they have not fully prepared for the lesson

Finally I hate Microsoft Flight Sim. I told all my Ab Initio students to stay off the sim. It is simply not realistic enough to fly visual attitudes and so sim pilots stare at the instruments instead of looking out the windshield. They also acquire bad habits as a result of practicing without supervision.