PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Flying Lesson Frequency in Winter
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2015, 23:11
alex90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this also depends quite a bit on where you are learning. Different airfields have different diurnal weather patterns. Biggin Hill often has thick fog to mist early mornings (just see the difference between the due point and temperature) - this often lifts mid - late afternoon.

What I did when I trained, I booked most Saturdays and Sundays, 2 lessons a day, one at 10.30 and the other at 2.30 (you'll remember that soon the clocks change in the UK and we'll get night around 4ish).

I found that actually at the beginning 2 lessons a day was too much for me. Although I didn't realise it - I was tired on the second flight, and taking in information from the first lesson didn't really sink in properly until I had slept on it / analysed the flight in detail in my head. After about 10-15 hours, solo coming up is when I was able to increase my awareness, and able to cope with 2 flights per day.

A piece of advice I can give you for your learning, is to work on the ground school earlier rather than later. Not only will it not restrict you, (ie you need air law for going solo) but also it does teach you an incredible amount which will ease your understanding of exercises you do in the plane. I preferred the Pooley's books rather than the AFE ones; They're a different style and different format to one another - pick the one you are most comfortable with. Also there is an app on the app store with sample questions: EASA PPL Exam which have better practice questions than either of the books (but please don't just learn the answers - understanding is important during the learning phase.). I think it cost me at least 5 hours of flying not to have done this!

Also spend a lot of time on the maps, aviation charts, google earth and if you have one, flight simulator (I like X-Plane because I can actually fly the plane I learnt on, where I learnt with really good visuals).

Hope this helps! Good luck!