PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NZ CAA prosecuting 'rescue' pilot
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2015, 21:58
homonculus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are many unknowns which will undoubtedly be aired in court, including who squealed on the defendant and why was a 44 sent to do a man's work.

However, it seems from my armchair that the authorities decided to request a commercial operator to launch a rescue flight. There was an onus surely to ensure the pilot of that flight was capable of undertaking the mission. It was a single pilot aircraft not rated for multi pilot operations.

So along comes a chap who is not licensed to act as a pilot in any shape or form. Why did he get in the aircraft?? If a grounded fixed wing pilot strolled onto the flight deck I suspect he would get short shrift.

This chap then took command of the aircraft. The suggestion that he could assess the risk from his medical condition is farcical. Whatever the risk, any accident would have presumably have been uninsured. Any loss of life such as to the pilot would have resulted in financial catastrophe for his widow.

I am not sure what the Authorities are supposed to do other than prosecute. This wasnt a chance situation but a deliberate set of decisions. Nobody likes losing their license but we cant allow pilots without a medical to decide they can fly.