PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No More Waddington Air Show
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2015, 17:00
iansmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From a traffic point of view Church Fenton was a total disaster. Had it not been for an enterprising person in a 4x4 trialing an alternate route from the back of the car park I would have been stuck there for ~3 hours. Many were turned away as the carpark was full. I paid for my ticket but the mistake was that someone made the decision to allow payment on the gate, which caused the hordes to descend. There were queues in excess of an hour for toilets, similar for the food which also ran out. The organisers didn't make all the money they should have either as people from the car park were being routed inside the boundary hedge, straight onto the airfield. My ticket was never checked and huge numbers got in for free (most of those around me did).
However, I will go again if they stick to advanced tickets only as most other displays now do.

I can understand the decision as I suspect that they were low in numbers in the preceding week and maybe they were advised to accommodate people rather than have free-loaders clogging up the roads and hedgerows.

So, next time:

1. Advanced tickets only
2. Probably do it over 2 days
3. Establish good park and rides
4. Make well publicised use of the nearby railway (I had intended to use it but could not find out any details of extra trains, stops etc.)
5. Clearway for the buses and VIP ticket holders

It has the potential to be a good venue (again)