PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hospital bombed in the Afghan city of Kunduz.
Old 6th Oct 2015, 21:57
Lonewolf_50

Received 420 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Cazalet33
I don't suppose the doctors, nurses and patients in that targeted hospital would recognise the distinction.
I don't much care. They are in a war zone, and that carries with it risks, be it of accidental or deliberate cases of things blowing up nearby.

As I don't know how the targeting decision was made, and probably won't until a public release of elements of the board in inquiry are available, I was commenting on that had to do with my profession for a few decades, which was military aviation. I am not certain that you are a member of that profession, past or present.

Are you familiar with difference between close air support and other sorts of air strikes? Depending on a bunch of different situational variables, the RoE for them are significantly different, which means the decision to release the weapons goes through a different logic chain.

In either case, error is possible, which is why procedures were developed to mitigate/reduce errors in weapons deployment.