PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Airlines Pilot Dies in Flight BOS-PHX
Old 6th Oct 2015, 21:26
Squawk7777

Location: formally Alamo battleground, now the crocodile with palm trees!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I know American was always considered a 'captain's airline' and the FO was not allowed to taxi. Years ago AA had the right seat steering tillers removed from their A306's even though it was standard equipment.

Do AA 320's all have ground steering on the right side? Or do some have it and some don't due to the mergers?
This was an ex-AWA A320 (aircraft 678) which has like all the LUS Airbuses tillers on both sides. F/O's are not permitted to taxi, although I was told that when the Airbuses first hit the property at pre-merger AW/US the F/O's were permitted to taxi (the tillers on the right side are not deactivated).

I believe AA's Airbuses have the tiller on the right installed as well. The FM prohibits the F/O taxiing at the "New American". Clearly, the F/O used his emergency authority to taxi the 320 to the gate in SYR.

I would like to know if you can use the defibrillator on a sitting person, or if that person has to lie flat.

There was a physician seated in row 1F, but there apparently was no request for help.
I think the TSA, FAA and the press would have had a "field day" if that person had been permitted onto the flight deck!

I don't think that the FAA will make any dramatic changes to their aeromedical requirements, health checks etc. since it'll probably ground more pilots and add to the pilot shortage. There are pesky rumors that the FAA age 65 limitation will be removed soon.