PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Airlines Pilot Dies in Flight BOS-PHX
Old 6th Oct 2015, 21:19
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perhaps he moved to the left seat.
Great minds think alike.

I also thought perhaps that was the case but having swapped seats a few times over my uh, 'career', I don't think I would like to land solo from the other side unless it was something I had practiced. I get enough excitement watching check airmen try it after flying a desk or simulator all month.

Years ago I was one of the FO's on an augmented crew on a crossing in an ETOPS twin and the captain had a painful kidney stone attack. We were with a legacy airline where the copilots taxied the plane on their leg and both sides had tillers.

I was the relief pilot and with that company, the junior guy (some outfits have done the pecking order differently with typed and untyped FO's, or captains, for the bunkie). We decided that if the captain was unable to be in the seat for landing, I would be in the left seat and the other FO would land from the right seat since that was his normal viewpoint.

As it turned out, captain's pain subsided in time for him to sit in the left seat for the other FO's landing.

I was with an overseas outfit once where you put on your shoulder harness and locked it while the other pilot was out of the cockpit in case you had a medical emergency. It would keep you from slumping over the controls. Oddly, you didn't have to put on the O2 mask above FL 350 when flying solo.