PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Airlines Pilot Dies in Flight BOS-PHX
Old 6th Oct 2015, 17:48
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate to be the heartless bastard here, but if the deceased is pronounced by a doctor or nurse, why would you divert?
A side issue is that, under the guidance provided in the book by most U.S. airlines, you try to avoid having someone declared dead in flight for legal reasons.

If the person is declared dead on the ground, place and time of death is better defined for insurance and estate purposes. In 1976 Howard Hughes passed away in a Lear flying from Acapulco to Houston. Estate lawyers argued for years over when he died and whether it was over Mexico or the U.S.

The remaining pilot on AA 550 reported to ATC that his colleague was unresponsive and not breathing. The EMS communications on the Onondaga County frequency were routine and professional, another day at the office.

AA 550 landed on runway 28. Originally the medics were going to meet the aircraft on the taxiway but it was realized that they did not have a way to easily enter the aircraft without stairs. So, AA 550 taxied to Gate 6.

I know American was always considered a 'captain's airline' and the FO was not allowed to taxi. Years ago AA had the right seat steering tillers removed from their A306's even though it was standard equipment.

Do AA 320's all have ground steering on the right side? Or do some have it and some don't due to the mergers? I'd never seen an A320 with dual-bogie main gear until someone pointed out an ex-Indian Airlines plane at the gate in Asia.