PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Angry Air France union protesters storm HQ; Air France execs 'forced to flee'
Old 6th Oct 2015, 11:34
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And what are KLM and its workers thinking about all this? The feeling is that KLM is plugging the holes created by the losses of AF. Many have mentioned that AF is a lost animal wandering in the jungle wondering what it should be. Others, BA, LH have responded to the market place and are doing well. KLM the same. It is often a better deal to fly with the nationals than with a LOCo. They have adapted. AF are still behind in this. Hence my question about KLM's attitude. They will not want to see their efforts diluted by the squandering of AF.
It is ironic that 15 years, or more, ago AF was technically bankrupt. The then government opposed Brussels "NON" to state aid and forced through a 3 tranche state aid restructuring package. Meanwhile KLM was profitable and independent, as were the other nationals. Somehow or other the fates swung away from KLM and they were forced to find a partner. They'd looked into the books of Alitalia and said NON, but somehow AF managed to cobble together a deal that saw them as the senior partner. How fortunes had changed; and how, now, they've changed again. KLM is doing good, AF bad, but AF is the controlling partner and maybe sucking the good blood out of KLM.
There will others who know more specifics of the finances, but there must be internals stresses.