PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KingAir crash near Chigwell?
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2015, 09:55
compressor stall

Received 139 Likes on 63 Posts
You make a forced landing.
Yes, agreed but this is inconsistent with the previous claims that these things climb perfectly well on one.

I canīt think of a reason to land ahead if it is "only" an engine failure...
I just noticed these words from another poster earlier and they are concerning. I suggest s/he has a good look in the manuals and plug some numbers as per my previous post.

If there are trees there and uphill after departure as just suggested, it is entirely probable that an engine failure at Vr could put you into the trees, and any survivability is really in the hands of fate.

Nevertheless there is no fundamental problem flying a B200 as implied by some, and no problem positioning from Stapleford
No there isn't and I've operated KingAirs off strips a lot shorter and worse than this one. But the point I'm trying to get across is that no matter how good you are, if/when your time comes and it goes bang/quiet on takeoff you may be in a position where no action can save the aircraft. Comments by others here show that not every KingAir pilot gets this.

The pilot was by all accounts highly experienced. It is plausible that he found himself in a situation where nothing could save the aircraft and he was in the hands of fate. There but for the grace of god go us all.