PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KingAir crash near Chigwell?
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2015, 06:04
compressor stall

Received 139 Likes on 63 Posts
Flaymy,

I see your motivation for your post, but it does annoy me when people say "these things climb on one happily."

Yes they can under many circumstances, but the point remains - unlike transport category aircraft - you can operate them commercially where this is not actually achievable if it goes quiet at the wrong time - even with auto feather and all actions performed as per POH.

Yes, you can limit weight to achieve equivalent to FAR 25 performance for the climb out, but that's not actually taking into account the limitations that FAR 25 has with respect to V1, ASDA etc.

I brushed 11 years of dust off my B200 POH/AFM (HFG) and - having never heard of Stapleford - looked up the aerodrome to see that it is 3500' long. Making some assumptions (sea level, ISA, nil wind, 10,000lbs) I plugged those numbers in.

Looking at the speeds for the V2 for the Accelerate GO graph, and those for the best rate of climb, it bears thought as to where the 13kts magically appears from when you're just above the trees.

Whatever caused this tragedy in the long run will hopefully be revealed. But every KingAir (and FAR23 turboprop pilot) should plug some numbers and have a think about what to do if it goes quiet at 95kts on a shortish runway.

We learn from accidents. They prompt discussion. It's not very often that someone finds a new way to crash aircraft.

Last edited by compressor stall; 6th Oct 2015 at 06:35. Reason: spelling