PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NZ CAA prosecuting 'rescue' pilot
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2015, 06:02
John Eacott

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by SilsoeSid
snip

But there's always a little something else behind these stories isn't there.
Only if you want there to be. There has been no reporting that I've seen which in any way implies that Mr Armstrong has any record whatsoever of previous 'transgressions'. This, again, shows a determination to see the worst in another's actions.

Apart from the question about him flying while suspended prior to this incident, I'd like to know a bit more detail as to why the professional SAR aircraft couldn't go back to the search area. Was the weather that bad?
What professional SAR aircraft? The best you may hope for is a local operator turning out to help in an emergency call, indeed it may even have been another machine from the same company.

Mr A must have known they had turned back because of weather/fuel, was he listening to the event on the radio? Also, the report says that he apparently knew where the injured person was.

Why couldn't the SAR aircraft refuel at Mr A's facility? Pick him up and go back to the search area fully equipped for the subsequent rescue?
See my previous reply: I suspect that you are still applying UK expectations to an Antipodean solution. NZ has a very sparse official SAR cover: it remains very much a self help part of the world.