PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wheel landings and groundloops
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2015, 02:46
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed, Chuck, you can judge the touchdown point more easily with a wheeler. But I can't see how a wheeler touchdown won't always be faster than a 3-point one. Maybe those Alaskan guys are very skilled at hard braking (big tundra tyres - plenty of ground grip) without nosing over?
The big tires on the Super Cub are really tricky when wheel landing because overcoming the inertia of the mass of the tires produces a very pronounced nose pitch down and you have to be very quick with the elevator to prevent it from banging the prop on the ground.

I see there is some dissatisfaction from one of the posters here because I used the DC3 as an example for describing the wheel landing on the private pilot forum...for that lapse of consideration I am pointing out how the Super Cub on big wheels reacted when wheel landing it.

In the nineteen sixties there was a Canadian Company in the Ottawa area called Bradley Air Services that equipped the Super Cub with those big tires for operating in the high Arctic on the soft surfaces when the frost was coming out of the ground.

I was flying in the Arctic at that time and spent part of a summer flying the Super Cub on the Bradley big tires, it was owned by the company I was flying the DC3 for and I offered to fly the Super Cub for a change of pace and just loved the thing..I still have a bunch of pictures of it taken on Banks Island where it was being used that summer.

One day I saw a flat topped small mountain that intrigued me and finally I got the perfect conditions to land on it with the wind about fifteen MPH and the turbulence was no problem determined by several low approaches and go arounds.....so I landed on it and after taxiing back to the approach edge I shut down and walked the top to see how long the flat surface was...it was eighty yards.

For that landing I used the wheel landing method because I had to touch down as close to the start of the level top as possible.

The reason I am going to all this effort to relate this story is to explain that using the wheel landing method worked just fine with the Super Cub on big tires just like it worked with the DC3 just in case there actually are some private pilots here who are not interested in the DC3 stories.

There....I hope that helps those who think I am just defensive and limited in my understanding of the subject of tail wheel airplanes.

Oh and another thing I would like to mention....

...when I post these stories I use my real name because I like to relate all the things I was fortunate enough to have experienced in my long career as a working pilot.

Common sense should dictate my stories are true because if I was B.S. ing my credibility would be ruined.

Last edited by Chuck Ellsworth; 6th Oct 2015 at 03:09.