PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safetycom 135.475 blind call etiquette Scotland
Old 5th Oct 2015, 22:38
Cusco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand that ‘Topping & Tailing’ (adding the airfield at the end of the call as well as at the start) to Safetycom calls will be included in the next update of CAP413. It’s becoming common usage in some parts of the country already, for obvious reasons.
That's very good news: I actually wrote to the CAA after Safetycom was first promulgated to suggest that it was an omission not to specify 'topping and tailing' the transmission as the Cousins have been doing with Unicom for years.

Only taken three revisions to incorporate it.

I'll believe it when I see it.

There are large numbers of strips near our airstrip and virtually nobody adds the strip name at the end: When the initial name is muffled out/inaudible all you have to go on is runway number:

And if that is the same the strip you are approaching the neck swivelling muscles go into overdrive.

Another problem peculiar to Scotland is that the safetycom frequency has been suggested for use in remote areas as a way of self announcing/traffic awareness: this may be the reason for no airfield name heard on some transmissions as effectively there is none if you've just announced that you are screaming down Loch Ness at zero feet....
See here:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzR...VHc/view?pli=1

Though I'm sure piper boy based as he is in Scotland must have been aware of this

Cusco

Last edited by Cusco; 5th Oct 2015 at 23:09.