PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wheel landings and groundloops
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2015, 21:00
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He seemed to ignore the golden rule of stick hard back once down 3-point. In fact, unless that type has very limited elevator movement, he doesn't seem to get the stick back even as the tail rises!

Agreed, Chuck, you can judge the touchdown point more easily with a wheeler. But I can't see how a wheeler touchdown won't always be faster than a 3-point one. Maybe those Alaskan guys are very skilled at hard braking (big tundra tyres - plenty of ground grip) without nosing over?

I hardly ever use brakes to slow on the runway, especially on grass, either 3-point or wheeler. Apart from anything else, it's not very effective! For me, brakes are steering devices.

Skinny tyres on wet grass....

The Yak52 (tricycle, heavy, narrow tyres) with free-castoring nose wheel and differential main wheel brakes for steering) I had a share in for a while would simply lock a braked mainwheel at muddy winter Barton and have zero steering effect. Blipping the throttle worked better, digging in the RH tyre on power application (big 9-cylinder radial engine) and the LH tyre on sudden power reduction. Steered a treat!

Last edited by Shaggy Sheep Driver; 5th Oct 2015 at 21:16.